Sunday, April 10, 2011

Friendly Neighborhood Italian: the Brunch Edition

About a month ago Maxine insisted that I needed to try Centro Vinoteca, and since we needed somewhere to brunch, we killed two birds with one stone and went. In a word, it was delicious. Since then I've been looking for an excuse to go back, this time armed with a camera. Rachel G., of Assessing the Wreckage fame, was the perfect reason. We did a pre-theater brunch there on Saturday and if possible it was better than the first time.

The meal started when they brought over a complimentary pound cake with lemon curd and orange marmalade. I'm not usually a pound cake fan because I find it to be a little too spongy, but this was yummy, and the lemon curd was the perfect mixture of sweet and tangy.

Next up were the lemon ricotta fritters. Maybe it's because Passover is coming up and I was thinking of my grandmother's failed attempt to make kosher for Passover pancakes using ricotta cheese, but I was definitely not expecting the deliciousness that arrived on our plate. These were basically beignets, except a little less airy and a bit more savory. In other words, delicious. Between the fritters, the pound cake and the bread on the table when you arrive, I was basically already full.

Luckily I managed to find room for what may be the most delicious Eggs Benedict I've ever eaten. The hollandaise was the perfect texture and exactly the right level of lemon. Instead of an English muffin I got a lovely surprise in the form of a potato latke, the smoked salmon was delicious, and the fresh organic egg was expertly cooked and a beautiful bright orange when I pierced the yolk. The olive oil drizzled on the plate was so fresh it looked like a neon yellow, which added a nice extra kick to the dish.

Kat ordered the poached eggs over parmesan polenta and bolognese sauce, the same dish Maxine ordered when we were there last time. I've tasted the dish both times, and I'm obsessed. I was glad Kat ordered it so I didn't have to and could try something new, but really, this dish is delicious. Before I'd tasted the eggs benedict I would have told you all that you had to get this dish, but now the requirement is to go with a buddy and order one of each. Totally worth it.

Centro is my new brunch obsession. GO TO THERE!

1 comment: